Welding Torch ABIMIG® Shipyard & Offshore
MIG/MAG welding torch especially for shipyards and offshore plant construction
They have to weld thick sheets of metal, work in confined spaces and while standing on scaffolding, and they need to be able to rely absolutely on their work tools: Welders in shipbuilding as well as in offshore and plant construction. Where mostly rough environmental conditions prevail and the welding tasks are constantly changing, welding torches are needed that are equally easy to use as well as robust and provide relief for the welding specialist. Such a welding torch especially for the conditions on shipyards and in production halls for offshore plant construction is the ABIMIG® Shipyard & Offshore welding torch from ABICOR BINZEL.
This makes the ABIMIG® Shipyard & Offshore welding torch particularly special:
- lightest and most flexible torch in its class
- optimally suited for the challenging conditions in shipbuilding and offshore plant construction
- outstanding handling, rotatable and exchangeable torch necks can be replaced quickly and without tools
All information at a glance
Reduces the physical strain
- Proven lightest weight in this welding torch class – facilitates overall handling
- Extendable trigger – adapts to the preferences of the welding specialist
- Flexible neck and rotatable exchangeable torch necks – even more flexibility for changing welding tasks
Reduces deadline pressure and saves costs
- Modular design – significantly reduces time for conversion and replacement of wear parts
- Compatibility – components fit the existing ABIMIG® modular system
- Narrow-gap welding – time and material savings due to special contact tips and gas nozzles
Withstands rough environmental conditions
- Robust, easily repairable construction – prevents premature wear, individual parts can be quickly replaced if necessary, additional spare control line integrated in the cable.
- Coated ABICOR BINZEL wear parts – reduce spatter adhesion and increase the service life of the welding torch
- Tear-resistant BIKOX® cable assembly – withstands strong UV exposure, high temperatures and flying welding spatter
The excellently balanced design with the new small handle, the reduced overall weight and the torch necks that can be quickly adapted and changed to the welding task, make the ABIMIG® Shipyard & Offshore welding torch the perfect fit especially for welding professionals in shipyards and for the construction of offshore plants.
A lightweight welding torch fits well in the hand. If it can also be adapted to different requirements in just a few steps, muscle fatigue is reduced and precise welding is possible for longer. This not only means satisfied female and male welders, but also noticeable time and cost reductions.
Confined working areas and difficult to reach welding joints are common practice, especially on shipyards. The torch necks of the ABIMIG® Shipyard & Offshore welding torch can be adapted to new welding tasks by simply turning them. If a welding joint is difficult to reach, the torch neck can be replaced with a longer torch neck, for example, in just a few steps and without tools. This saves long walks to the material issue – and the time can be used more profitably for continuing the work.
Flexible torch neck – ABIMIG® A T 405 LW
This powerful flexible neck can be easily bent into the required position and is therefore ideal for frequently changing welding tasks. In combination with the appropriate torch, full performance can be achieved with this flexible torch neck even up to 400 A (CO2) and 370 A (mixed gases).
Handle with optional trigger extension
Every welder has his or her own preferences regarding the position of the trigger on the handle – either the trigger on top or the trigger on the bottom is preferred. If welding is carried out with a top trigger, a long trigger is usually preferred. The same applies when welding long seams and high duty cycles with corresponding radiated heat. The ABIMIG® Shipyard & Offshore welding torch has an optional trigger extension. This can be mounted quickly and easily and allows for more comfort when welding. The handle itself lies ideally and securely in the hand. Overall, this enables very good handling and safe torch guidance in any working position.
Durable equipment and wear parts
Like all ABICOR BINZEL wear parts, also those of the ABIMIG® Shipyard & Offshore torch are of high quality – both with regard to the processed material and the workmanship.
Torch neck liner
- guarantee safe wire guidance, resist heat from the process and allow high time savings when changing torch necks.
Liner for cable assemblies
- are particularly robust and heat-resistant, have very good sliding properties and significantly reduce gas losses due to their plastic coating.
- have good current transfer properties, reduce spatter adhesion or are highly temperature resistant, depending on the contact tip type.
Contact tip holder
- has an integrated gas distribution and in this way reduces the number of wear parts and thus stock-keeping and costs.
High-performance gas nozzles
- ensure long operating times with optimum shielding gas coverage, the coating reflects heat and reduces the adhesion of weld spatter and thus the formation of bridges.
Narrow-gap gas nozzles
- allow good accessibility to the weld joint and a good view of the process with good shielding gas coverage.
Another special feature of the ABIMIG® Shipyard & Offshore welding torch is the particularly heat-resistant, highly robust cable assembly, which is 30 % lighter compared to welding torches from other manufacturers in the same performance class. Less weight means less muscular strain and higher productivity. High resistance of the cable assembly means longer service life without time-consuming repairs.
During a direct comparison of the ABIMIG® Shipyard & Offshore torch with eight competitor torches from different manufacturers, the handling weight was compared at a handling height of 1.5 m. The handling weight gives an indication of the physical strain a welder is exposed to during their working hours. The following graph shows the comparative measurements of the respective weight per specified power.
Another long-term study was commissioned by ABICOR BINZEL at the Institute for Sports Science at the Justus Liebig University in Giessen. The first study of this kind was conducted back in 2010. The study was entitled "Influence of different welding torches on work ergonomics during welding with a focus on muscular strain, subjective strain as well as strain on the hand" – with the following summarised study result, for which the ABIMIG® Shipyard & Offshore welding torch was used with two welding torches from other renowned manufacturers:
The objective as well as subjective strain on female and male welders is significantly reduced by the use of the ABIMIG® Shipyard & Offshore torch.
- The forearm and hand are less strained and thus improve the handling of this welding torch.
- The shoulder and neck area, where the muscular strain is highest, were subjected to less strain, which means that active as well as passive structures of the musculoskeletal system are less strained.
- Less muscular strain can reduce the occurrence of complaints and musculoskeletal disorders and serve as a preventive measure.
This sports science study has now proven that the ABIMIG® Shipyard & Offshore welding torch from ABICOR BINZEL is an ideally suited manual torch specifically for the requirements of this industry.